The submission period for Water~Stone Review is October 1 - December 1.
The following guidelines apply to general submissions.
At Water~Stone Review, we welcome and encourage diversity in voice and form. We believe in honoring the tradition of the literary journal and the work of established writers. We believe in carefully ushering new writers into the world and cultivating considerate editors. We are careful, collaborative, and nurturing. We make a beautiful, award-winning literary journal. We invite you to submit.
Note: Students currently enrolled in Hamline University's MFA or BFA programs cannot submit to Water~Stone Review. Work from graduates of these programs is welcome.
- All submissions should be original, previously unpublished work. (This also excludes work published on any website, including author’s own site from being submitted for consideration.)
- Please include with your submission a brief cover letter listing previous places of publication, if any and the title(s) of piece(s) submitted.
- Author's name should not appear on any of the pages of the work submitted.
- Fiction and creative nonfiction submissions must be limited to 8,000 words. Novel and memoir excerpts are acceptable as long as they stand on their own. Short and flash forms are welcome in both CNF and fiction and up to three pieces in these forms, with the total number of words for all pieces combined not exceeding 8,000 is acceptable.
- Poetry submissions must be limited to three poems or fewer.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but the writer must withdraw the piece immediately if it has been accepted elsewhere. To withdraw work, please inform us via the Notes field on your submission. If you have any further questions or concerns, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Another piece may NOT be submitted in its place.
- Entrants may submit only one submission per genre/category. It is preferred that entrants submit in only one genre per issue, creative nonfiction, fiction, or poetry. If submitting in more than one genre/category please communicate this in the cover letter to avoid clerical confusion.
- Payment is in two copies of the issue in which the author’s work appears.
- Response time is typically 4 to 6 months.
*Mailed manuscripts are accepted by special permission only and must be typed or printed in proper format on white paper, in English or translations provided, one side only, double-spaced (prose). Specify genre (fiction, creative nonfiction, or poetry) on the outside of your envelope and in the cover letter. Please send submissions addressed to Fiction Editor, Nonfiction Editor, or Poetry Editor. Cover letters should be brief and should indicate the genre of the submitted work. Author’s name should not appear on the manuscript. Please include a SASE for result. Manuscripts will be recycled not returned.
rock, paper, scissors accepts CNF up to 1,000 words and each writer may submit up to three pieces. We encourage stories that push boundaries, make us think, and excite the reader. Works should be in a legible typeface and font size and submitted in a .doc, .docx, or .rtf file format.
Note: you must be a current Hamline MFA student to be considered for publication. Genre editors and screeners may submit their work to rps, but it must be in a different genre than the one they're editing.