Note: Students currently enrolled in Hamline University's MFA and BFA programs cannot submit to Water~Stone Review. Work from graduates of these programs is welcome.
At Water~Stone Review
, we welcome and encourage diversity in voice and form. We believe in honoring the tradition of the literary journal and the work of established writers. We believe in carefully ushering new writers into the world and cultivating considerate editors. We are careful, collaborative, and nurturing. We make a beautiful, award-winning literary journal. We invite you to submit.
- All submissions should be original, previously unpublished work. (This also excludes work published on any website, including author’s own site from being submitted for consideration.)
- Creative nonfiction manuscripts must be limited to 8,000 words. Memoir or larger essay excerpts are acceptable as long as they stand on their own. Short and flash forms are welcome and up to three pieces in these forms, with the total number of words for all pieces combined not exceeding 8,000 is acceptable.
- CNF work should be double-spaced (when possible), paginated, with title on first and subsequent pages.
- Your name, address, phone number, and e-mail address should appear in the cover letter only. Do not put this information anywhere on the submission's pages or in its title.
*Helpful note when withdrawing one piece from a multiple piece submission (as in the case of short/flash form entrants): Please indicate which specific piece to withdraw in the Notes field.**Additionally, it is preferred that entrants submit in only one genre per issue: creative nonfiction, fiction, or poetry. If submitting in more than one genre/category please communicate this in the cover letter to avoid clerical confusion.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but the writer must withdraw the piece immediately if it has been accepted elsewhere*. Entrants may submit only one submission per genre/category**. If author withdraws a piece, another cannot be submitted in its place during this submission period.